Looking for a person?
Are you researching the history of particular person or family?
There are many places and people who can help. We have a wide variety of records that might have information to help you. Some suggestions of where to start are given below:
- If it's your family you are interested in then talk to your relatives and see what they know.
- Read our family history pages and quick guide for pointers of what records to look at.
- Use Ancestry.co.uk to look for baptisms, marriages and burials in West Yorkshire (and beyond).
- Make use of the internet for resources and online access to records - there are many sites that can be helpful (our family history guide gives examples of some).
- We have Collections Guides giving information about Parish registers, non-conformist registers and wills all of which can be invaluable in giving information about individuals.
- If they lived and owned property in the West Riding of Yorkshire then it is likely that there will be information about them in the West Riding Registry of Deeds - pay a visit or book some research to find out!
- Try searching our online catalogue for the name of the family you are interested in.
- Join a local Family History Society for advice and to share information. Look on our Family History Societies page to find the one local to you or your family.