Searching the deeds and ordering copies for legal purposes
Legal clients can expect the following standards of service from West Yorkshire Archive Service: Wakefield.
Ordering copies of deeds for legal purposes
To order a search for, or a copy of a deed for legal purposes please:
• Complete Order Form 1 West Riding Registry of Deeds
• For search and copying charges see West Riding Registry of Deeds charges
• Send along with payment to
West Yorkshire Archive Service, Wakefield,
• If we are unable to locate the deed requested a refund will be made of the copy fee
How long will copies take?
The search for a deed will be made within two working days from the receipt of order and payment. Search requests by fax or email can only be completed on receipt of an appropriate fee.
Copies of deeds located will be despatched within a maximum of four working days from receipt of the original order with payment. In practice, this will usually be less than four working days. Deeds will be despatched via the DX system if appropriate.
Registry of Deeds User Charter for Legal Clients
The West Riding Registry of Deeds consists of 13,000 volumes of registered memorials and copies of land transactions that took place within the county of the West Riding of Yorkshire between 1704 and September 1970.
The West Yorkshire Archive Service has the task of preserving this unique record of property transactions whilst also providing copies of deeds for legal purposes.
1. Deeds Copy Order Forms will be logged and receipted on the day of arrival.
2. Payment must be made in advance of work commencing on searches and copying.
3. The search for a deed will be made within two working days
from receipt of order. Copies of deeds located will be despatched within a maximum of four working days from receipt of order.
4. When a search is undertaken and no reference is found to the relevant
document the copying fee will be refunded.
5. The copy deed will specify clearly the nature of the copy (i.e. Office or Certified). Where an Office Copy has been supplied the plans registered will be supplied in black and white. Where a Certified Copy has been supplied any plans registered will be supplied in colour and the copy will be certified by two members of staff as an accurate copy.
6. Deeds will be despatched via the DX system if the firm is a member of that system and supplies a DX address.